The Bosch 12V Heated Jacket is a technical soft-shell for people that need the most warmth without a lot of bulky insulation. The main feature is the electric heating on chest and back. This fabric is powered by a lithium-ion battery and actively heats your body. Here is a review of this jacket
The Bosch Heated Jacket gives you the following benefits:
- Three heat zones that can be separately controlled. Two on the chest (left and right) and one on the back.
- Three settings to control the amount of heating
- Runs on rechargeable lithium ion batteries at 12V
- Allows you to stay warm in Stop and Go activities without having to switch clothing all the time.
- It has a USB connection to charge smartphones, tablets, and other apparel.
- All metal holster and backup clip for the battery pack. So this is not swinging around with your jacket but is securely attached to your belt.
- Five pockets, three external, two internal
- Complete with battery and charger.
- Maximum heating time 6 hours (on low setting)
Our Evaluation of The Bosch 12 V Heated Jacket
As far as heated jackets go, the Bosch is up there with the best of them. There is really very little to be wished for. First of all, the warmth that is produces is great. Even in freezing conditions (twenties with forty mile winds) we were able to stay quite warm. The jacket fits well and allows good mobility. This is something that most quality softshells give you. And with the added heat from the battery, you can now use it in almost arctic conditions.
We had to get used to the battery. It is not enclosed in the jacket but separately on your belt. This means that it’s a little more work to put it on. The metal clip on the battery easily slides onto any belt. But you need to make sure the wire is connected properly and doesn’t hang out. Once we got the hang of it, we could do it as fast as putting on a regular jacket. It does provide a secure placement for the battery with no movement whatsoever. In other jackets, the battery can swing around a bit because it’s heavy. With the belt attachment, this is no problem. It’s clear that the engineers at Bosch looked carefully at the ergonomics of this jacket.
There is one USB connection that charges any smartphone or gadget. Most heated jackets provide this feature, and it’s hard to defend buying one that without it.
The battery has 12V. This means that it won’t last as long as a 20V battery of equal capacity. The jacket provided heat for 5 hours when we were switching between medium and low settings. While we would always want this to be higher, it’s on par with the other jackets out there.
The Bosch 12V is a great heated jacket for people that need a complete heating solution and wear a belt. It’s wind and water resistant and remains so for a long time. The mobility and comfort for the wearer are second to none, and it can charge your phone or media player.